By M.D. Kittle | Wisconsin Reporter
MADISON, Wis. — Democrats have brought a counterterrorism prosecutor to a First Amendment fight.
That’s how the legal battle is shaping up in a high-profile, not-so-secret investigation of Wisconsin conservatives — a probe driven by the Democrat-led Milwaukee County District Attorney’s office hoping to bring down Gov. Scott Walker, multiple sources say.
The court-administered dragnet has named Francis D. Schmitz special prosecutor. As Wisconsin Reporter detailed earlier this month, Schmitz, now in private practice in Waukesha, worked for several years in the U.S. Department of Justice’s counterterrorism operations.
Schmitz, however, has no discernible expertise in First Amendment or elections law — and that, sources told Wisconsin Reporter, is the legal arena in which this battle will unfold.
Documents published on the Wisconsin Court System website on Thursday reveal three “unnamed petitioners” targeted in the John Doe have brought in heavy-hitting defense experts in First Amendment and campaign finance law.
The three unidentified individuals filed motions in the Madison-based Court of Appeals District 4 seeking to stop the secret investigation.
“If you just look at the resumes, you get a pretty clear picture of where each side thinks this case is going,” a source close to the targets of the John Doe investigation said. “The Democrats — the prosecutors — believe this is a kind of gang investigation. The other side is clearly gearing up for a free speech fight on the basics of election law.”
Among the targets’ lead attorneys is Kansas City, Mo., lawyer Todd P. Graves, who specializes in political speech and election law and internal investigations.
Perhaps the greatest irony: Milwaukee prosecutors also will confront Washington, D.C. lawyer Michael Bresnick. A partner at Stein Mitchell Muse & Cipollone LLP, Bresnick served as executive director of President Barack Obama’s Financial Fraud Enforcement Task Force, working alongside U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder on “significant financial fraud matters and investigations.”
“Bresnick created enforcement initiatives and helped set priorities for the nation’s criminal and civil attorneys relating to all types of financial fraud, including fraud in the securitization and sale of residential mortgage-backed securities (RMBS), investment fraud, mortgage fraud, mass-marketing consumer fraud, suspension and debarment actions by government agencies, Bank Secrecy Act, and anti-money laundering policies and procedures,” according to his website.
- Edward H. Meyers, a partner in Bresnick’s firm, and an expert in disputes involving state and federal agencies.
- Madison attorney Dean Strang, who defends people accused in crimes in state and federal court, is representing another individual in the case. According to court documents, Strang filed one motion requesting the John Doe investigation be sent immediately to the state Supreme Court.
- Milwaukee-area attorney Matthew O’Neill, who defended the Milwaukee County executive against a federal civil rights claim.
One Wisconsin legal expert close to the investigation said the targeted conservatives’ counsel know their way around free speech and campaign finance cases.
“There’s going to be a lot of money resisting this,” the source said on condition of anonymity.
The expert said Strang is a liberal and no fan of Scott Walker, but he is “not a fan of criminalizing political differences, either.”
Assistant District Attorney Bruce Landgraf launched the latest John Doe probe in early 2012, according to sources. Multiple sources have told Wisconsin Reporter the investigation is looking at what the prosecution believes to be possible campaign coordination violations during the state’s 2011 recall elections.
Landgraf’s team includes an anti-gang prosecutor and others in the district attorney’s office, but no one with the kind of speech-defense expertise found in the petitioners’ resume
“If he (Landgraf) doesn’t like to be challenged, he’s in for a very unpleasant time. He’s got a tiger by the tail, and he’s not up to it,” the legal expert said.
None of the three petitioners’ attorneys returned Wisconsin Reporter’s phone calls. Graves’ assistant said the attorney would not comment now, and quickly hung up.
The motions were initially filed against Kenosha County reserve Judge Barbara A. Kluka, who had served as presiding judge in the investigation. As Wisconsin Reporter first reported last month, Kluka recused herself.
Retired Appeals Court Judge Gregory Peterson has since taken Kluka’s place and is now named as the Doe judge respondent.
Also named as respondents, Schmitz and Milwaukee County Judge Jeffrey A. Kremers, chief judge of the First Judicial Administrative District.
Contact M.D. Kittle at email@example.com
This story was originally published at 7:17 p.m. Nov. 19.
- Sources: Secret probe targeting conservatives is abuse of prosecutorial powers
- Scary! Phantom prosecutor in Dems’ war on conservatives disappears inside courthouse
- EXCLUSIVE: Judge in Democrat-led John Doe probe recuses herself
- Democrats’ ‘intelligence-gathering’ spreads in Wisconsin
- Democrats tap anti-terror expert to head secret probe of Wisconsin conservatives
- Sheriff Clarke: John Doe case shows Milwaukee DA is ‘weaponized for political purposes’
- Clarke: John Doe into conservatives ‘unbridled,’ ‘dangerous’ and ‘tainted’
- Sources: New judge named in Democrat-led secret probe
- Vendetta justice? Criticism growing about John Doe prosecutor Bruce Landgraf
- Will Wisconsin’s own ‘Miserable’ inspector jail conservative activist for speaking out about Dem probe?
- Conservative targets bring in big guns to Democrat-led John Doe fight
- ‘Dangerous’ game: Former FEC official blasts Democrats’ secret investigation of conservative groups
- Center for Media and Democracy: Liberals are morally superior
- Wisconsin Dems suddenly support political investigations
- WI Republican attorney general to represent judges in Democrat-led John Doe probe
- Republicans speak out about silent John Doe targeting conservatives
- Biggest secret in John Doe may be just how judges and special prosecutors are selected
- WSJ: John Doe judge deals body blow to secret probe targeting conservatives
- Vos: Wait until John Doe in ‘rearview mirror’ before revisiting law
- Lawsuits looming in Wisconsin’s crumbling John Doe probe?
- Conservative to Democrat prosecutors: Shut down secret political probe or face civil rights lawsuit
- John Doe target O’Keefe taking on IRS, too
- Lawmaker: Wisconsin’s John Doe like Christie’s ‘Bridgegate’
- Target files civil rights lawsuit against Wisconsin’s John Doe prosecutors
- Disparate treatment: Civil rights lawsuit claims conservative speech trampled
- Liberal group looking to take Wisconsin’s John Doe national
- John Doe judge: ‘Results of the John Doe speak for themselves’
- John Doe special prosecutor appeals judge’s ruling quashing subpoenas
- John Doe prosecutor pushed for brain-damaged man’s conviction in ATF debacle
- Conservatives counterpunch John Doe prosecutors’ move to stall injunction
- Shadowy John Doe investigator invokes federalism in civil rights lawsuit
- John Doe prosecutors wanted higher-priced lawyers, source says
- Secret agent Dean Nickel’s defense: ‘Dean Nickel is not responsible’
- D’oh! John Doe prosecutors claim secrecy protection – after filing secret documents
- Recusal in John Doe case raises questions of fairness, purpose
- Absolute immunity makes it tough to prosecute the prosecutors of John Doe
- Poll suggests Dems’ big ‘secret’ weapon against Walker is backfiring
- ‘Easy target’: Kelly Rindfleisch breaks silence about John Doe probe
- SCOTUS ruling on campaign finance shows abuse of John Doe, targets say
- Nobody will say what John Doe’s shadow man did, but taxpayers are paying his legal bill
- Judge denies John Doe prosecutors’ move to dismiss civil rights suit
- Civil rights expert: John Doe law is ‘un-American,’ like something from ‘Nazi Germany’
- Target: John Doe prosecutors making up campaign law as they go along
- John Doe, as it is being used, must go, WI senator says
- John Doe target says prosecutors latest move another delay tactic
- John Doe prosecutors sound defensive in latest court filings
- Federal judge denies John Doe prosecutors’ motion to stall civil rights case
- Media coalition asks judge to open sealed John Doe documents
- Are John Doe prosecutors sweating out federal judge’s decision?
- John Doe is dead: Judge stops WI prosecutors’ probe into conservatives
- This is what the Fourth Amendment looks like?
- What’s next for now-defunct John Doe probe?
- Appeals court stalls judge’s order halting John Doe probe
- Federal judge’s ruling could open up sealed John Doe records
- Federal judge orders John Doe probe shut down again
- Lawmakers call for review of GAB’s secret John Doe activities, funds
- Lawyers, lawyers everywhere and other dispatches from John Doe Land
- Secret’s out: The world is beginning to learn more about WI’s John Doe
- Still their little secret? Questions remain on John Doe gag order
- Appeals Court declares portions of Wisconsin campaign finance law unconstitutional
- John Doe prosecutors suddenly support opening sealed court records
- Expert: It’s as if GAB decided ‘Citizens United didn’t exist’
- John Doe prosecutors voice phony outrage, legal source says
- GAB still reviewing court ruling declaring WI campaign finance law unconstitutional
- State Farm still doesn’t want to cover John Doe prosecutor’s legal bills
- For the Walker-hating left, John Doe is ‘Mission Accomplished’
- Sources: No urgency in WI Supreme Court on John Doe
- Would Walker settlement with John Doe prosecutors be a deal with the devil?
- Contempt questions surround reported John Doe deal talks
- Walker’s John Doe response raises more questions than answers
- Sources: Attorney General passes on defending GAB in John Doe cases
- Attorney to judge: Don’t let John Doe prosecutor ‘moot’ injunction
- John Doe targets sue Wisconsin’s Government Accountability Board
- Federal judge says his order halting John Doe probe should be clear to prosecutor
- John Doe special prosecutor’s bill still shrouded in secrecy
- ‘Are these kind of armed pre-dawn raids standard operating procedure?’
- John Doe special prosecutor obeys judge’s order
- ‘Never-ending’ John Doe never ended, WSJ reports
- Appeals court upholds judge’s order shutting down John Doe probe
- O’Keefe keeps collecting big wins in John Doe lawsuit
- John Doe I judge says he’s not responsible for John Doe II
- Will taxpayers have to pay for frivolity of John Doe prosecutors?
- John Doe prosecutors jump back into the dark?
- What about those prosecutors? Questions surround other John Doe DAs
- Humiliated in court, WI Dems take their anti-conservative John Doe probe to the media
- Federal judge blasts John Doe prosecutors – again – as he denies records release
- Right on cue: Document dump fuels anti-Walker donation drive
- Wall Street Journal points out ‘disgrace’ of mainstream John Doe reporting
- Expert: John Doe raids raise ‘troubling’ Fourth Amendment questions
- Kelly Rindfleisch tells conservatives, ‘Don’t back down’
- Mainstream media forced to walk back Walker ‘criminal scheme’ narrative
- John Doe prosecutors engaged in premature justification, conservatives say
- Is John Doe probe a case of a mini NSA in Wisconsin?
- AG opinion means accountability board’s John Doe secrets are safe — for now
- Senator asks attorney general to compel GAB to open up its books
- GAB now playing secrets in state John Doe lawsuit
- Will John Doe prosecutors launch lengthy probe against Trek Bicycle?
- John Doe prosecutors engaged in war of words — lots and lots of words
- Judge denies conservatives’ request to add GAB to civil rights lawsuit
- Oral arguments set in John Doe prosecutors’ appeal
- In John Doe Land, the left doesn’t illegally coordinate
- John Doe document blitz must have broken mainstream media’s heart
- Senator: Looks like accountability board is hiding something
- Kelly Rindfleisch appeal to test validity of John Doe digital searches
- Conservatives in John Doe battle know disclosure comes with a heavy price
- Appeals court orders release of some John Doe documents
- Taxpayers on the hook up to $25,000 for GAB’s legal maneuvers
- Overheated media erroneously bring back Walker ‘criminal scheme’ theme
- ‘Retaliation’: Docs show state prosecutors launched mini-NSA probe of WI conservatives
- John Doe prosecutors take desperate, unethical slap