By M.D. Kittle | Wisconsin Reporter
MADISON, Wis. — The targets of a politically charged John Doe investigation are now targeting the state’s Government Accountability Board, alleging in a lawsuit the agency that oversees election and campaign finance law has created a “Frankenstein monster” out of its enforcement authority.
The GAB has “exceeded its statutory authority and evaded its statutory obligations by pursuing and funding a far-reaching criminal investigation into virtually every conservative-leaning group in Wisconsin,” according to the lawsuit, filed Friday morning in Waukesha County Circuit Court by conservative activist Eric O’Keefe and his Wisconsin Club for Growth, and on “behalf of others similarly situated.”
O’Keefe takes particular aim at the GAB and its involvement in the John Doe probe, a nearly three-year investigation into 29 conservative issue advocacy organizations.
The court-administered dragnet, launched in late summer 2012 by Milwaukee County District Attorney John Chisholm, a Democrat, is nothing more than a partisan witch hunt, O’Keefe asserts in a civil rights lawsuit filed earlier this year in federal court against John Doe prosecutors.
In that complaint, O’Keefe argues that the prosecutors violated his First Amendment rights via an investigation that, sources say, involved pre-dawn, “paramilitary-style” raids on the homes of conservative targets.
And it was all done with the backing of the Government Accountability Board, using powers not ascribed to the board, O’Keefe’s lawsuit alleges.
The GAB, in conjunction with district attorneys in five counties in Wisconsin, has initiated a wide-scale criminal investigation into O’Keefe, the club, and other conservative-leaning groups throughout Wisconsin and the country, according to the lawsuit.
“The GAB’s use of a John Doe has created a Frankenstein monster,” the complaint states. “The GAB has grafted its existing powers for civil enforcement of campaign finance laws onto law enforcement powers borrowed from John Doe statute, and from this hybrid bundle of investigative powers, has lopped off vital procedural protections.”
With horror film flair, the lawsuit asserts the result of that administrative “monster” is “terrible to behold: a creature that covertly collects sensitive information on political activities that do not — and cannot — constitute a crime, all while maintaining a nearly impenetrable shield of secrecy.”
Most troubling of all, the complaint alleges, is that the “monster is fed by taxpayer dollars that were never intended for this purpose.”
Court documents in recent months have shown GAB’s integral involvement in the investigation, including the activities of the agency’s shadowy contracted investigator, Dean Nickel.
Nickel filed the original affidavit for probable cause in the search warrants that were executed in the John Doe raids. Nickel, in documents filed in federal court, said that’s all he did. Others — Chisholm, his assistant DAs, special prosecutor Francis Schmitz and former John Doe presiding Judge Barbara Kluka — are responsible for the investigation, Nickel’s legal team argued in a long explanation filed in March in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin, Milwaukee Division.
U.S. District Judge Rudolph Randa earlier this month ordered the probe shut down, noting that the prosecutor-turned-defendants’ theory that the conservative groups may have illegally coordinated with Walker’s campaign is “simply wrong.”
That decision was followed by a ruling from the 7th Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals, which declared unconstitutional sections of Wisconsin campaign finance law involving issue advertisements, the same ads in question in the John Doe probe. The court scolded the state Legislature for not keeping up with recent U.S. Supreme Court decisions on campaign finance laws, and took issue with the GAB’s interpretation of the “Labyrinthian” rules and regulations.
In the lawsuit against the GAB and Kevin J. Kennedy, the board’s director and general counsel, O’Keefe and the club assert the agency’s use of the John Doe device exceeds the agency’s statutory authority, and doing so deprives the plaintiffs of their statutory rights.
“In a calculated power grab, the GAB has improperly used a John Doe proceeding to explore speculative criminal theories of campaign finance law without challenge by the accused or scrutiny of the public,” the lawsuit alleges, referencing the strict gag ordered placed on the investigation.
“Due to the secretive nature of the GAB’s investigative process and its confidential John Doe proceeding, the full extent of the GAB’s conduct is unknown to many, including Mr. O’Keefe and the Club,” the complaint states.
Wisconsin’s unique John Doe procedures are similar to grand jury investigations, without the benefit of a jury of peers. A presiding judge is vested with extraordinary powers to compel witnesses to testify in order to determine if a crime has been committed, and by whom.
More so, the lawsuit, alleges, the “GAB’s illegitimate and unauthorized participation in the John Doe proceeding has come at significant expense to taxpayers.”
“Since at least August of 2012, the GAB has spent and continues to spend substantial resources in furtherance of the proceeding,” the lawsuit asserts. “To date, the GAB and its staff have obtained and examined hundreds of thousands of documents in connection with the John Doe proceeding.”
John Doe prosecutors and the GAB have repeatedly declined to provide cost estimates of the investigation; in fact, they’ve declined to talk at all about the probe, citing its secrecy order.
“The total expenditures related to the investigation, and the hourly rate of the special investigators, have remained a closely guarded secret,” the lawsuit states.
The GAB has appointed at least two special investigators, including Nickel and Schmitz, and issued more than 30 subpoenas throughout Wisconsin and across the country to conservative-leaning groups, Internet service providers, and financial institutions, according to the lawsuit.
“In addition, the GAB has obtained and executed search warrants through pre-dawn raids by armed deputies on the homes of targets throughout Wisconsin,” the complaint states.
The GAB had appointed Schmitz as a special investigator before Kluka appointed Schmitz as special prosecutor of the five-county probe in August 2013, a point not previously reported, according to the lawsuit.
“Furthermore, on information and belief, the GAB continues to employ Mr. Schmitz as a special investigator for the GAB, providing him an office and paying him to pursue John Doe II on behalf of the GAB,” the lawsuit asserts.
In 2014 alone, the GAB has spent at least $55,000 in connection with the John Doe II investigation, including paying both Dean Nickel and Schmitz as special investigators, according to the complaint.
John Doe II, as the probe is often called, is the outgrowth of “an unprecedented set of interrelated John Doe proceedings spearheaded by District Attorney John Chisholm at the Milwaukee County Attorney’s Office” more than four years ago, the lawsuit states.
In the first John Doe, the GAB opened an investigation into William Gardner and the Wisconsin & Southern Railroad Company (WSOR) after receiving a complaint by Mr. Gardner’s former girlfriend that she had been asked to make a campaign contribution on their behalf.
While state law demands GAB either pursue civil enforcement or refer such complaints over to the district attorney where the alleged violator resides, “the GAB sought the best of both worlds,” the lawsuit asserts.
“The Board subsequently contacted the Milwaukee County District Attorney’s Office and the two agencies worked closely together over the past year to complete a John Doe investigation before Judge Neal Nettesheim,” a GAB press release stated.
Gardner agreed to plead guilty to two felony counts, and WSOR agreed to pay a civil forfeiture to the GAB of $166,900.
“Not only did the GAB fail to follow its statutory mandate to refer the matter to the district attorney in lieu of civil prosecution by the GAB, the GAB also failed to refer the matter to the appropriate district attorney (i.e., the district attorney for the county in which Mr. Gardner resides, Washington County, or the principal place of business for WSOR, Madison County).
But GAB’s Kennedy found other photo-op moments with Chisholm along the way, in a John Doe probe that netted six convictions of former aides and associates of Walker when Walker was Milwaukee County executive. Only two of those convictions had anything to do with the original reason for the investigation, pilfering a Milwaukee County veterans’ fund. And Walker’s staff brought the theft to investigators’ attention, a report that launched the meandering John Doe probe.
The lawsuit also states that the current John Doe proceeding, John Doe II, officially commenced on Sept. 5, 2012, pursuant to an order by Kluka. “At or near the same time, board members of the GAB and its staff, including GAB Director and General Counsel Kevin J. Kennedy, were admitted as parties to John Doe II.”
The lawsuit seeks to “halt the GAB’s end-run around the substantive and procedural mandates” of its “enabling statute,” which lays out the agency’s authority. Doing so, the complaint asserts, would “dismember” the GAB’s “Frankenstein monster” and require it to “conduct only those activities for which it receives taxpayer dollars.”
O’Keefe and the club seek a judgment declaring the GAB has made and continues to make “illegal expenditures associated with its participation in the secret John Doe proceeding, and enjoining GAB from making any additional unlawful expenditures of public funds.”
The plaintiffs say the lawsuit deals with state statute, and is in no way intended to take away from the significant civil rights claims made in the federal complaint. They ask for a jury trial.
Contact M.D. Kittle at [email protected]
- So what are the odds the Wisconsin Supreme Court will stay its John Doe ruling?
- Sources: Secret probe targeting conservatives is abuse of prosecutorial powers
- Scary! Phantom prosecutor in Dems’ war on conservatives disappears inside courthouse
- EXCLUSIVE: Judge in Democrat-led John Doe probe recuses herself
- Democrats’ ‘intelligence-gathering’ spreads in Wisconsin
- Democrats tap anti-terror expert to head secret probe of Wisconsin conservatives
- Sheriff Clarke: John Doe case shows Milwaukee DA is ‘weaponized for political purposes’
- Clarke: John Doe into conservatives ‘unbridled,’ ‘dangerous’ and ‘tainted’
- Sources: New judge named in Democrat-led secret probe
- Vendetta justice? Criticism growing about John Doe prosecutor Bruce Landgraf
- Will Wisconsin’s own ‘Miserable’ inspector jail conservative activist for speaking out about Dem probe?
- Conservative targets bring in big guns to Democrat-led John Doe fight
- ‘Dangerous’ game: Former FEC official blasts Democrats’ secret investigation of conservative groups
- Center for Media and Democracy: Liberals are morally superior
- Wisconsin Dems suddenly support political investigations
- WI Republican attorney general to represent judges in Democrat-led John Doe probe
- Republicans speak out about silent John Doe targeting conservatives
- Biggest secret in John Doe may be just how judges and special prosecutors are selected
- WSJ: John Doe judge deals body blow to secret probe targeting conservatives
- Vos: Wait until John Doe in ‘rearview mirror’ before revisiting law
- Lawsuits looming in Wisconsin’s crumbling John Doe probe?
- Conservative to Democrat prosecutors: Shut down secret political probe or face civil rights lawsuit
- John Doe target O’Keefe taking on IRS, too
- Lawmaker: Wisconsin’s John Doe like Christie’s ‘Bridgegate’
- Target files civil rights lawsuit against Wisconsin’s John Doe prosecutors
- Disparate treatment: Civil rights lawsuit claims conservative speech trampled
- Liberal group looking to take Wisconsin’s John Doe national
- John Doe judge: ‘Results of the John Doe speak for themselves’
- John Doe special prosecutor appeals judge’s ruling quashing subpoenas
- John Doe prosecutor pushed for brain-damaged man’s conviction in ATF debacle
- Conservatives counterpunch John Doe prosecutors’ move to stall injunction
- Shadowy John Doe investigator invokes federalism in civil rights lawsuit
- John Doe prosecutors wanted higher-priced lawyers, source says
- Secret agent Dean Nickel’s defense: ‘Dean Nickel is not responsible’
- D’oh! John Doe prosecutors claim secrecy protection – after filing secret documents
- Recusal in John Doe case raises questions of fairness, purpose
- Absolute immunity makes it tough to prosecute the prosecutors of John Doe
- Poll suggests Dems’ big ‘secret’ weapon against Walker is backfiring
- ‘Easy target’: Kelly Rindfleisch breaks silence about John Doe probe
- SCOTUS ruling on campaign finance shows abuse of John Doe, targets say
- Nobody will say what John Doe’s shadow man did, but taxpayers are paying his legal bill
- Judge denies John Doe prosecutors’ move to dismiss civil rights suit
- Civil rights expert: John Doe law is ‘un-American,’ like something from ‘Nazi Germany’
- Target: John Doe prosecutors making up campaign law as they go along
- John Doe, as it is being used, must go, WI senator says
- John Doe target says prosecutors latest move another delay tactic
- John Doe prosecutors sound defensive in latest court filings
- Federal judge denies John Doe prosecutors’ motion to stall civil rights case
- Media coalition asks judge to open sealed John Doe documents
- Are John Doe prosecutors sweating out federal judge’s decision?
- John Doe is dead: Judge stops WI prosecutors’ probe into conservatives
- This is what the Fourth Amendment looks like?
- What’s next for now-defunct John Doe probe?
- Appeals court stalls judge’s order halting John Doe probe
- Federal judge’s ruling could open up sealed John Doe records
- Federal judge orders John Doe probe shut down again
- Lawmakers call for review of GAB’s secret John Doe activities, funds
- Lawyers, lawyers everywhere and other dispatches from John Doe Land
- Secret’s out: The world is beginning to learn more about WI’s John Doe
- Still their little secret? Questions remain on John Doe gag order
- Appeals Court declares portions of Wisconsin campaign finance law unconstitutional
- John Doe prosecutors suddenly support opening sealed court records
- Expert: It’s as if GAB decided ‘Citizens United didn’t exist’
- John Doe prosecutors voice phony outrage, legal source says
- GAB still reviewing court ruling declaring WI campaign finance law unconstitutional
- State Farm still doesn’t want to cover John Doe prosecutor’s legal bills
- For the Walker-hating left, John Doe is ‘Mission Accomplished’
- Sources: No urgency in WI Supreme Court on John Doe
- Would Walker settlement with John Doe prosecutors be a deal with the devil?
- Contempt questions surround reported John Doe deal talks
- Walker’s John Doe response raises more questions than answers
- Sources: Attorney General passes on defending GAB in John Doe cases
- Attorney to judge: Don’t let John Doe prosecutor ‘moot’ injunction
- John Doe targets sue Wisconsin’s Government Accountability Board
- Federal judge says his order halting John Doe probe should be clear to prosecutor
- John Doe special prosecutor’s bill still shrouded in secrecy
- ‘Are these kind of armed pre-dawn raids standard operating procedure?’
- John Doe special prosecutor obeys judge’s order
- ‘Never-ending’ John Doe never ended, WSJ reports
- Appeals court upholds judge’s order shutting down John Doe probe
- O’Keefe keeps collecting big wins in John Doe lawsuit
- John Doe I judge says he’s not responsible for John Doe II
- Will taxpayers have to pay for frivolity of John Doe prosecutors?
- John Doe prosecutors jump back into the dark?
- What about those prosecutors? Questions surround other John Doe DAs
- Humiliated in court, WI Dems take their anti-conservative John Doe probe to the media
- Federal judge blasts John Doe prosecutors – again – as he denies records release
- Right on cue: Document dump fuels anti-Walker donation drive
- Wall Street Journal points out ‘disgrace’ of mainstream John Doe reporting
- Expert: John Doe raids raise ‘troubling’ Fourth Amendment questions
- Kelly Rindfleisch tells conservatives, ‘Don’t back down’
- Mainstream media forced to walk back Walker ‘criminal scheme’ narrative
- John Doe prosecutors engaged in premature justification, conservatives say
- Is John Doe probe a case of a mini NSA in Wisconsin?
- AG opinion means accountability board’s John Doe secrets are safe — for now
- Senator asks attorney general to compel GAB to open up its books
- GAB now playing secrets in state John Doe lawsuit
- Will John Doe prosecutors launch lengthy probe against Trek Bicycle?
- John Doe prosecutors engaged in war of words — lots and lots of words
- Judge denies conservatives’ request to add GAB to civil rights lawsuit
- Oral arguments set in John Doe prosecutors’ appeal
- In John Doe Land, the left doesn’t illegally coordinate
- John Doe document blitz must have broken mainstream media’s heart
- Senator: Looks like accountability board is hiding something
- Kelly Rindfleisch appeal to test validity of John Doe digital searches
- Conservatives in John Doe battle know disclosure comes with a heavy price
- Appeals court orders release of some John Doe documents
- Taxpayers on the hook up to $25,000 for GAB’s legal maneuvers
- Overheated media erroneously bring back Walker ‘criminal scheme’ theme
- ‘Retaliation’: Docs show state prosecutors launched mini-NSA probe of WI conservatives
- John Doe prosecutors take desperate, unethical slap
- Walker ‘smoking gun’ story has tiny glaring flaw
- Wisconsin prosecutors aim to shut down conservatives
- Conservatives appeal to common sense in John Doe appeals case
- Conservatives say ‘incorrect disclosure’ of John Doe docs no ‘tiny error’
- First Amendment big guns back targets of John Doe probe
- Was John Doe judge a rubber stamp?
- $25,000 and counting: WI taxpayers’ bill so far to defend GAB and its ‘monster’
- Another blow for Wisconsin’s restrictive campaign finance law
- Wisconsin prosecutors appeal for protection from blowback in partisan probe
- Is John Doe story colored with a bit of ‘Macbeth?’
- GAB director says agency just following the law in John Doe probe
- Kelly Rindfleisch: Where are the tears for the kids the Milwaukee school system failed?
- Rindfleisch attorney: Appeals court can protect the Fourth Amendment in Digital Age
- Source: Wisconsin Supreme Court doesn’t want political heat of John Doe case
- Appeals court reverses John Doe injunction, but Wisconsin’s secret war far from over
- A whistleblower’s story: Taking on a ‘hyper-partisan’ district attorney
- Conservative O’Keefe seeks investigation into John Chisholm and his John Doe
- Who’s paying the bill? Report casts questions on GAB and John Doe payments
- Target of secret John Doe probe is fighting back and speaking out
- The day John Doe rushed through the door
- Rindfleisch: ‘Rape’ not too strong a word for how violated John Doe targets feel
- Conservative group asks court to stop John Doe ‘constitutional injury’
- Conservatives to appeals court: ‘You don’t know Doe’
- Armed and growing: Milwaukee County DA beefs up his ‘police force’
- Federal judge stops John Doe prosecutors from bothering conservative group
- Wisconsin Supreme Court takes another pass on John Doe case
- No surprise: Bice buries the lead, Walker follows the law
- Federalism v. individual rights: A conversation with Eric O’Keefe
- Report: No district attorney will investigate District Attorney John Chisholm
- Appeals court denies request to rehear John Doe civil rights case
- Voters say ‘yes’ to Walker, ‘no’ to John Doe, law expert says
- Vos: There will be reforms to John Doe, GAB
- GAB, Milwaukee County DA bail on key provision behind war on conservatives
- John Doe lawsuit could be headed to U.S. Supreme Court
- Kelly Rindfleisch will fight on in Fourth Amendment case
- John Doe froze conservative speech, targets say
- Conservatives to court: Open up records on GAB’s role in John Doe
- Did the GAB doctor documents to cover their tracks in John Doe?
- Wisconsin’s Van Hollen says goodbye to AG post, John Doe
- Rindfleisch appeals to Supreme Court in John Doe Fourth Amendment abuse case
- Audit: GAB has failed to follow the law
- Wisconsin Supreme Court to take up John Doe complaints
- ‘R word’ surfaces in wake of state Supreme Court taking up John Doe challenges
- GAB won’t say whether it has reauthorized its role in John Doe probe
- Rogue agency defied judges to carry out partisan probe of Wisconsin conservatives
- ‘Outside the … law’: Lawmakers call for investigation of GAB
- Attorney: GAB’s John Doe justifications don’t hold up to law
- Isn’t it ironic: Mainstream silence follows reports of secret GAB Gmail in John Doe
- GAB offers contradictory defense of its John Doe activities
- O’Keefe officially asks judge to open probe into John ‘Doe’ Chisholm
- State lawmakers look to investigate the GAB and its investigators
- One year ago, judge’s ruling shakes up John Doe probe
- Doe possessed: ‘They have information about every aspect of our lives’
- GAB plays victim card in ‘complicated’ John Doe, campaign finance farce
- Public defender asks Supreme Court to take up John Doe-related Fourth Amendment case
- GAB has a sudden change of heart on campaign finance reform
- O’Keefe takes his case against John Doe to U.S. Supreme Court
- Conservatives: GAB’s meeting minutes show gap in board’s John Doe oversight
- How Wisconsin media support DA’s war on conservatives
- Federal judge’s judgment takes John Doe probe off life support
- Following judge’s order killing John Doe, what’s next?
- First Amendment expert: Wisconsin ought to be ’embarrassed’ by John Doe
- Does chief justice have conflict of interest in John Doe case?
- Conservative groups ask U.S. Supreme Court to defend rights of John Doe targets
- Is John Doe special prosecutor still working with partisan DA, GAB?
- Prosecutor misstatements continue to shape John Doe narrative, Walker’s future
- $775,000 and rising — Wisconsin taxpayers’ bill to defend John Doe prosecutors
- Milwaukee DA to be ‘special guest’ at fundraiser for Supreme Court justice
- John Doe reform bill aims to break silence of abusive investigations
- Reform bill would open up the John Doe books to taxpayers
- John Doe target says they are the victim of identity theft
- On Sunshine Week, GAB still operating in the dark
- Wisconsin Supreme Court rejects Rindfleisch Fourth Amendment appeal
- Secretive John Doe special prosecutor who fancies a good leak screams secrecy breach
- Kelly Rindfleisch hopes to avoid becoming first John Doe political prisoner
- GAB, friend of the John Doe, just wants to be a ‘friend of the court’
- Kelly Rindfleisch, Chisholm’s political prize, to begin sentence on Thursday
- U.S. Supreme Court could soon decide whether to take John Doe Case
- Did chief justice show her hand in dissenting John Doe opinion?
- New documents expose GAB’s ‘parallel’ probe expenditures
- Lawmaker: Chief justice’s civil rights complaint is ‘pathetic’
- John Doe reform bill stalls in Legislature
- Who was the reporter outside Cindy Archer’s house?
- U.S. Supreme Court to consider hearing John Doe-related case
- Experts: Chances rise that U.S. Supreme Court will take John Doe case
- Do Chisholm’s public comments on John Doe cross ethical line?
- John Chisholm’s 50 shades of ‘raid’
- Five years later: America just learning ‘tyrannical’ secrets of Wisconsin’s John Doe
- U.S. Supreme Court could announce decision on John Doe case later this month
- Wisconsin as a New Yorker cartoon of itself
- Will discovery reveal more bombshell information about ‘rogue’ GAB?
- Political prisoner Kelly Rindfleisch on home confinement, working for O’Keefe
- Warrants command John Doe targets to remain silent
- U.S. Supreme Court denies review of John Doe-related case
- Was John Chisholm John Doe distracted?
- John Doe reform bill stuck in legislative waiting game
- GAB reform stalled, new docs show GAB working closely with John Doe prosecutors
- Kelly Rindfleisch takes her Fourth Amendment fight to the U.S. Supreme Court
- What happened to Kelly Rindfleisch could happen to you
- Justice asks state Supreme Court to reconsider Rindfleisch Fourth Amendment appeal
- Justice Gableman: Warrants in Rindfleisch case amount to ‘fishing expedition’
- ‘Did they get me?’: Docs reveal long-time John Doe spying operation
- Kelly Rindfleisch: ‘I fear I will never get justice’
- Former Walker aide to file civil rights lawsuit against John Doe prosecutor
- Cindy Archer: Chisholm’s John Doe was ‘campaign of intimidation’
- National Review: Political John Doe victimized 16-year-old boy
- GAB’s Kennedy had a friend in IRS’ Lois Lerner
- Vos: Time to ‘double down’ on GAB reform in wake of reported IRS links
- Left’s loud transparency defenders silent on secret John Doe
- The John Doe investigation might finally be over; Supreme Court to rule Thursday
- Wisconsin Supreme Court shuts down John Doe investigation
- Wisconsin Supreme Court shuts down John Doe investigation, affirms First Amendment
- Kelly Rindfleisch seeks release following death of John Doe probe
- Legal experts on right and left seek review of Rindfleisch John Doe conviction
- John Doe horror stories: ‘I felt completely helpless in my own home’
- Hillary Clinton plays victim card
- Legal expert: Abrahamson and John Doe civil rights cases like day and night
- Attorney: audio confirms traumatic John Doe raid of Cindy Archer’s home
- John Doe prosecutors open new assault on conservative targets
- John Doe prosecutors’ tape of raid raises questions about missing moments
- John Doe reform bill starts to move again
- Conservatives ask Abrahamson to turn over John Doe-related records
- John Doe investigators say there are more tapes of raids
- Legal defense of rogue John Doe agents costs taxpayers nearly $1.2 million
- Explosive email exposes GAB attorney’s partisan motives in John Doe probe
- An open letter to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel’s Patrick Marley
- Wisconsin GAB reform bill could be ready in a few weeks, sources say
- Updated complaint shines more light on dark day in John Doe
- Partisan Falk once urged GAB to ‘get around constitutional right to free speech’
- Legislature to take up John Doe reform in October, GOP leadership says
- Knudson on GAB: ‘We need to take this thing apart’
- Did the GAB ‘illegally coordinate’ with left-leaning groups?
- John Doe prosecutors get a win, practice legal gymnastics again
- Wall Street Journal: GAB targeted conservative justices in John Doe defense
- Craig says bill to investigate GAB’s John Doe activities coming soon
- New emails show GAB assisting in John Doe defense after judge said stop
- ‘Nonpartisan’ GAB staff has partisan past
- John Doe political prisoner Kelly Rindfleisch nears end of her sentence
- Will the voices of the John Doe victims be heard?
- Supreme Court will not hear Kelly Rindfleisch’s Fourth Amendment case
- Judge orders GAB to turn over emails with liberal groups
- The silence of the left is the Dems’ transparency hypocrisy
- GAB chairman: ‘I wasn’t offended’ by John Doe raids
- Sources: Bill would overhaul controversial GAB
- GAB fighting to keep its secrets out of public eye
- GAB overhaul would eliminate blank checks on taxypayer dime
- John Doe victims to tell their stories in Fox News special
- Fiery GAB hearing invokes ghost of Joe McCarthy
- Why did accountability board use Gmail accounts to talk John Doe?
- Prosecutor plugged into ‘hotspot’ to email sensitive John Doe docs
- Judge holds off on release of GAB’s ‘very embarrassing’ records
- Craig blasts newspaper for Dem ‘press release’ coverage of John Doe bill
- Hyperbole happens as John Doe reform passes on party-line vote
- Fireworks coming on GAB and campaign finance reform debate
- GAB living on borrowed time?
- Back to the Future: Dems walk out on vote again
- Newly released John Doe docs reveal much more about rogue GAB
- Lawmakers want answers on GAB director Kevin Kennedy’s IRS conversations
- WSJ: Wisconsin’s political John Doe targeted national conservatives
- Target of political John Doe targets reluctant senators in robocall campaign
- Kevin Kennedy’s spin to save the GAB and his job contradicts the record
- EXCLUSIVE: Wisconsin Senate majority leader, others also targeted in John Doe
- GAB’s defense of John Doe database raises more question than answers
- Spokeswoman: Fitzgerald not ruling out extraordinary session on GAB bill
- GAB kept pushing political probe despite daunting evidence problems
- Memo to Legislature: Take a closer look at GAB Judge’s conduct
- Senate passes GAB overhaul, campaign finance reform in ‘extraordinary’ session
- Conservatives to court on GAB’s secrets: ‘Enough is enough’
- Milwaukee citizens petition Walker to remove DA John Chisholm from office
- Rogue GAB pushing strained legal arguments to keep its secrets
- GAB just about dead as final overhaul bill passes Assembly
- Speech cop, prosecutors argue for secrecy in the face of GAB extinction
- Milwaukee Journal Sentinel mentions petition to remove Milwaukee DA — finally
- Taxpayers on hook for at least $187,000 to defend rogue GAB
- Court filing shows GAB’s Kennedy asking Lois Lerner if IRS ‘would be interested’
- Lawmaker asking GAB to open its John Doe records
- Did GAB’s Kevin Kennedy break the law in John Doe talks with Lois Lerner?
- John Doe victims still in legal limbo four months after Supreme Court ruling
- John Doe political prisoner Kelly Rindfleisch completes probation
- Lawmaker advises GAB’s Kevin Kennedy to ‘obey the law’
- Walker yet to sign GAB overhaul bill
- Wisconsin Supreme Court to rule on motion to reconsider John Doe ruling
- Wisconsin Supreme Court reaffirms John Doe is dead
- John Doe prosecutor gets no respect from targets he intimidated for years
- Former John Doe special prosecutor has little chance before high court
- Political speech ‘watchdogs’ urge continuation of illegal John Doe
- Attorney General: End John Doe case now
- Attorney General: John Chisholm broke campaign finance law
- Milwaukee County Board signals support to fight for illegal John Doe
- The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel’s selective outrage on transparency
- District attorneys want out of political John Doe business
- Did DA who launched political John Doe probe break campaign finance laws?
- With Walker’s signature, the GAB is dead
- Conservatives, transparency win! GAB settles lawsuit, agrees to open up its secrets
- O’Keefe to Chisholm: Go ahead, make my day
- Bill creates legislative committee to investigate John Doe investigations
- Chisholm quietly returns illegal campaign contribution
- John Doe target: ‘Where and when does this abuse end?’
- ‘Good government’ group that celebrated Lois Lerner mourns for GAB
- Falk blasts incompetence of GAB, prosecutors in John Doe, emails show
- Defense attorney: Liberal John Doe cheerleaders beware
- Bad Santa: John Doe prosecutor delivers letters to the people he spied on
- Craig asks attorney general to compel GAB to open up John Doe records
- Former John Doe prosecutor not in compliance with court order
- What’s it like to find out the government has been spying on you?
- John Doe prosecutors ‘just playing games,’ says Cindy Archer’s attorney
- Supreme Court says no to John Doe prosecutors; Abrahamson lashes out
- Mainstream media displays selective principles on open records
- John Doe targets tell Supreme Court that prosecutor is not complying with order
- Schimel says decision coming soon on open records complaint against GAB
- Walker’s office won’t open hearing into Milwaukee County DA John Chisholm
- Petitioner against John Chisholm: Walker’s office dropped the ball
- Chisholm’s use of big guns in John Doe fight raises legal questions
- Lawmaker takes one more try at records request with reluctant GAB
- Schimel says John Doe prosecutors have no right to illegally obtained ‘evidence’
- GAB’s John Doe secrets could soon be released to the public
- John Doe targets: Chisholm has no right to share illegally seized ‘evidence’
- Conservatives: Attorney General alone has authority over John Doe petition
- AG Brad Schimel on John Doe authority question: It’s complicated
- Court denies DAs’ motion to open up John Doe records to private attorneys
- Chisholm’s unaccountable defense: ‘The records do not exist’
- Unsealed John Doe documents show view from Chisholm’s world
- Did John Doe cost Larry Nelson an election?
- Schimel: John Doe investigators living in ‘Alice in Wonderland world’
- First John Doe documents released from lawsuit show GAB’s partisan motives
- Vos names commissioners, end of GAB inches closer
- Will Senate take up Assembly amendment watering down John Doe reforms?
- Important court days coming soon to John Doe Land
- John Doe freedom fighter wins big victory against the IRS
- Oral arguments set in John Doe civil rights lawsuit
- Attorney to Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reporter: ‘Your article is ridiculous’
- Judge Lynn Adelman on John Doe records custody: ‘I don’t care about the law’
- Documents raise questions about John Doe judge’s review of warrant
- Bruce Murphy: When journalists (don’t) attack
- New docs show GAB spent more than 2,500 hours on John Doe probe
- Chisholm invokes his illegal John Doe probe in re-election campaign
- Haas’ emails in GAB’s John Doe probe should give senators pause
- Liberal judge dismisses civil rights lawsuit against John Doe prosecutors
- John Doe victims stuck with GAB retread until at least January
- Mark Gundrum, architect of John Doe-driving GAB, could be next Supreme Court justice
- Before lamenting the end of the GAB, read this
- A year after Supreme Court pronounces John Doe dead, conservatives still waiting for justice
- Fitzgerald: GAB’s Michael Haas not long for new administrator role