MADISON, Wis. — Perhaps recent revelations of partisanship by staff at the “nonpartisan” state Government Accountability Board should come as no surprise.
At least not if you know from where those staffers come.
The Wall Street Journal and Wisconsin Watchdog have reported on former GAB staff counsel Shane Falk’s partisan emails related to the political John Doe investigation into dozens of conservative groups and the campaign of Gov. Scott Walker. That investigation, it is becoming increasingly clear, was driven in large part by the accountability board, Wisconsin’s finance, election, and ethics law regulator. Falk was a big player at the agency and in the political probe.
Falk, who in 2008 urged the GAB to find ways to “get around the constitutional right to free speech,” once served as the Democratic appointee on the state elections board, the GAB’s predecessor.
But not well known is the story of Michael Haas, the GAB’s election division administrator.
Haas, long before he began working for the GAB in 2008, was an aide for then-Assembly Speaker Thomas A. Loftus, D-Sun Prairie, in 1989. And Haas was at the center of campaign finance controversy that pre-dated the so-called “Caucus Scandal” more than a decade later and the more recent unconstitutional John Doe probe the state Supreme Court has ordered shut down.
In September 1989, Wisconsin GOP chairman Donald K. Stitt accused Loftus of “subsidizing” his campaign for governor with state funds.
By adding one of his campaign staffers as a part-time office worker, Loftus “has got his campaign hirelings feeding at the trough,” Stitt said, as quoted in a brief in the Sept. 20, 1989, edition of the Milwaukee Sentinel.
The staffer in question? Haas, a Sun Prairie native and the future arbiter of Wisconsin election law.
A Loftus spokeswoman at the time denied the charge, insisting Haas would work part-time as a “legitimate” aide to Loftus and “be off the public payroll” when he works for Loftus’ campaign.
A similar allegation led to a six-month sentence on a felony conviction in 2012 for former Walker aide Kelly Rindfleisch at the hands of John Doe prosecutors, led by a Democratic Milwaukee County district attorney.
Rindfleisch, who is soon to conclude her sentence, was charged with “misconduct in office” for doing contracted campaign work for a candidate for lieutenant governor. She, like many other former aides and allies of Walker, was targeted in an ever-expanding secret John Doe investigation. Haas was not.
As conservative talk show host Charlie Sykes pointed out in a 2003 investigative piece for the Wisconsin Policy Research Institute, Loftus led a Democratic Caucus staff that devoted their time to political campaigns.
Such activities were treated as felonies when prosecutors — in another secret John Doe — went after lawmakers like Loftus’ Republican successor, former Assembly Speaker Scott Jensen.
As Sykes wrote, a 1986 memo “proudly recounted how legislative staffers had run campaigns, helped raise money, written political commercials, developed campaign literature, operated ‘spy’ phone banks, provided writing and research, orchestrated campaign swings, helped with mailings, and traveled to local districts to make campaign phone calls and go door-to door for candidates.”
“The memo also makes clear that members of individual legislators’ staffs played integral roles in the re-election campaigns of the incumbents,” Sykes wrote.
“One of our best assets in the incumbent campaigns was each legislator’s staff,” the memo boasted.
Haas’ political work for Loftus, however, was missing from the GAB’s press release in December 2012 when he was named elections division administrator.
GAB director Kevin Kennedy simply noted that Haas joined the agency in 2008 as one of two staff attorneys who advised the board on legal matters. In the release, Kennedy praised Haas’ legal advice and management skills in the agency’s “successful processing of nearly 2 million recall petition signatures” in the bitter recall campaigns of 2012.
Haas’ early work also was missing from a GazetteXtra piece on the attorney’s rise up the GAB ladder, although it did note Haas’ time working in “partisan Democratic politics between 1987 and 1994 — activism that he says ended after he lost two straight campaigns for the state Assembly seat covering Sun Prairie.”
Haas told the publication that working on Democratic campaigns for governor, president and Congress and then running for the Assembly seat “exorcised partisanship and any future run for office ‘out of my system.’
“I turned out to be a better nonpartisan administrator than a politician,” Haas told the publication.
Kennedy, at the time, said he knew of Haas’ partisan past, but added that “everybody has a past.”
“It’s so far down the scale when you look at the performance that Mike’s had in the last five years,” Kennedy told GazetteXtra. “Somebody has to be the unbiased party.”
Haas directed Wisconsin Watchdog’s questions to GAB communications director Reid Magney.
Magney insists Haas “has never done any campaign work at the Capitol and we never heard of any claims he did.”
He said that for “several months starting in late 1989, Mr. Haas worked part time in the office of the speaker on legislative issues and media relations. He also worked part time at the speaker’s campaign office. After that he worked full time on the campaign.”
“Kevin Kennedy has already commented on Mr. Haas’ nonpartisan qualification first to be staff counsel for the Government Accountability Board and now the Elections Division Administrator,” Magney added. “Mr. Haas was hired through a competitive process for both positions. Mr. Kennedy and the Government Accountability Board were aware of his past work history before he was hired.”
As elections administrator, Haas did not have the kind of involvement in the John Doe probe that others have. But the partisan backgrounds of GAB administrators and key staff members raise questions about their ability to remain nonpartisan amid revelations of partisan conduct.
Kennedy has lately found himself defending his staff following the publication of several emails that have been sealed in the courts.
Late last month the Wall Street Journal’s editorial board reported that GAB staff, including Kennedy, worked with John Doe special prosecutor Francis Schmitz and the Milwaukee County District Attorney’s Office (run by a partisan Democrat) to “subpoena and intimidate the major conservative players in Wisconsin.”
In an email, dated June 26, 2014, Falk blasted Schmitz for telling his attorney, Randall Crocker, to issue a statement saying Walker was not a target of the campaign finance coordination probe.
“You just lied to the press,” Falk scolded Schmitz in the email, obtained by Wisconsin Watchdog. “See attached ‘target’ sheets from our search warrant and subpoena meeting. I see ‘SW’ right up near the top on page 1. Is there someone else that has those initials? Page 3 even has all the stuff we wanted from SW.’
Falk seemed more interested in protecting Mary Burke, Walker’s Democrat challenger in last year’s gubernatorial election.
“If you didn’t want this to have an effect on the election, better check Burke’s new ad. Now you will be calling her a liar,” Falk wrote. “This is a no win. I encourage you to roll with it, or tone down the press release a bit more to focus on how many times you said ‘alleged’ or say that people are drawing conclusions that have not yet been proven in a court of law or something.”
Falk sent Schmitz a copy of the Burke campaign ad, which features headlines and stories from the mainstream media erroneously claiming the governor led a “criminal scheme that broke election laws.” After the ad ran, Schmitz issued the statement, saying Walker was never a target, and that he was never served with a subpoena.
The Wall Street Journal editorial also pointed to an email to Schmitz from Falk, dated Nov. 27, 2013.
In it, Falk encouraged the special prosecutor to stay strong in the politically charged probe into Walker and his conservative allies.
“Remember, in brief, this was a bastardization of politics and our state is being run by corporations and billionaires,” Falk wrote in the communication, also obtained by Wisconsin Watchdog. “That isn’t democracy to say the least, but due to how they do this dark money, the populace never gets to know.”
The email was sent nearly two months after the GAB and John Doe prosecutors raided the homes and offices of several targets. Falk’s pep talk arrived a little more than a month before the presiding John Doe judge quashed the subpoenas related to the covert investigation because prosecutors had failed to show probable cause a crime had been committed.
Kennedy, other GAB staff, and Milwaukee County prosecutors were copied on the emails.
In a statement, following reports of Falk’s emails, Kennedy defended Falk, saying GAB staff are “human, and feel passionately about ensuring that all parties comply with campaign finance laws.”
Haas was not copied on those emails, but Jonathan Becker was. The GAB’s ethics division administrator once served on the ultra-liberal Dane County Board of Supervisors, and was the board’s chairman in 1998.
As the Wall Street Journal has reported, GAB staff counsel Nathan Judnic took part in the marches against Walker’s Act 10 collective bargaining reform and tweeted that the state should “Stand in solidarity. Kill the bill. Support public employees and their right to bargain.”
Molly Nagappala, lobbying and ethics specialist for the GAB, served as a development intern for NARAL Pro-Choice Wisconsin. That’s where she met and worked for Madison Democrat Kelda Helen Roys. Nagappala, then Molly Sessler, contributed $15 to Roys campaign for the 2nd Congressional District seat, according to Act Blue.
Nagappala was instructed by her GAB bosses to search for information related to conservative state Supreme Court Justice David Prosser’s campaign “in a database investigators kept of the subpoenaed documents” illegally obtained in the John Doe, the Wall Street Journal reported. The GAB and the special prosecutor were moving on a plan to force the recusal of conservative justices long before conservatives challenged the investigation at the Supreme Court, according to the journal.
And Kevin Kennedy, the career bureaucrat and administrator of the GAB and the state elections board, frequently communicated with former IRS tax-exempt director Lois Lerner.
“What kind of person would want to spend his days regulating the political speech of other people?” asked Eric O’Keefe, one of many conservatives targeted in the probe. O’Keefe and his Wisconsin Club for Growth are suing the GAB for abusing its authority at taxpayer expense.
“Sooner or later an agency empowered to regulate political speech is going to be staffed by people enthusiastic about stifling the speech of somebody or other,” he said.
- So what are the odds the Wisconsin Supreme Court will stay its John Doe ruling?
- Sources: Secret probe targeting conservatives is abuse of prosecutorial powers
- Scary! Phantom prosecutor in Dems’ war on conservatives disappears inside courthouse
- EXCLUSIVE: Judge in Democrat-led John Doe probe recuses herself
- Democrats’ ‘intelligence-gathering’ spreads in Wisconsin
- Democrats tap anti-terror expert to head secret probe of Wisconsin conservatives
- Sheriff Clarke: John Doe case shows Milwaukee DA is ‘weaponized for political purposes’
- Clarke: John Doe into conservatives ‘unbridled,’ ‘dangerous’ and ‘tainted’
- Sources: New judge named in Democrat-led secret probe
- Vendetta justice? Criticism growing about John Doe prosecutor Bruce Landgraf
- Will Wisconsin’s own ‘Miserable’ inspector jail conservative activist for speaking out about Dem probe?
- Conservative targets bring in big guns to Democrat-led John Doe fight
- ‘Dangerous’ game: Former FEC official blasts Democrats’ secret investigation of conservative groups
- Center for Media and Democracy: Liberals are morally superior
- Wisconsin Dems suddenly support political investigations
- WI Republican attorney general to represent judges in Democrat-led John Doe probe
- Republicans speak out about silent John Doe targeting conservatives
- Biggest secret in John Doe may be just how judges and special prosecutors are selected
- WSJ: John Doe judge deals body blow to secret probe targeting conservatives
- Vos: Wait until John Doe in ‘rearview mirror’ before revisiting law
- Lawsuits looming in Wisconsin’s crumbling John Doe probe?
- Conservative to Democrat prosecutors: Shut down secret political probe or face civil rights lawsuit
- John Doe target O’Keefe taking on IRS, too
- Lawmaker: Wisconsin’s John Doe like Christie’s ‘Bridgegate’
- Target files civil rights lawsuit against Wisconsin’s John Doe prosecutors
- Disparate treatment: Civil rights lawsuit claims conservative speech trampled
- Liberal group looking to take Wisconsin’s John Doe national
- John Doe judge: ‘Results of the John Doe speak for themselves’
- John Doe special prosecutor appeals judge’s ruling quashing subpoenas
- John Doe prosecutor pushed for brain-damaged man’s conviction in ATF debacle
- Conservatives counterpunch John Doe prosecutors’ move to stall injunction
- Shadowy John Doe investigator invokes federalism in civil rights lawsuit
- John Doe prosecutors wanted higher-priced lawyers, source says
- Secret agent Dean Nickel’s defense: ‘Dean Nickel is not responsible’
- D’oh! John Doe prosecutors claim secrecy protection – after filing secret documents
- Recusal in John Doe case raises questions of fairness, purpose
- Absolute immunity makes it tough to prosecute the prosecutors of John Doe
- Poll suggests Dems’ big ‘secret’ weapon against Walker is backfiring
- ‘Easy target’: Kelly Rindfleisch breaks silence about John Doe probe
- SCOTUS ruling on campaign finance shows abuse of John Doe, targets say
- Nobody will say what John Doe’s shadow man did, but taxpayers are paying his legal bill
- Judge denies John Doe prosecutors’ move to dismiss civil rights suit
- Civil rights expert: John Doe law is ‘un-American,’ like something from ‘Nazi Germany’
- Target: John Doe prosecutors making up campaign law as they go along
- John Doe, as it is being used, must go, WI senator says
- John Doe target says prosecutors latest move another delay tactic
- John Doe prosecutors sound defensive in latest court filings
- Federal judge denies John Doe prosecutors’ motion to stall civil rights case
- Media coalition asks judge to open sealed John Doe documents
- Are John Doe prosecutors sweating out federal judge’s decision?
- John Doe is dead: Judge stops WI prosecutors’ probe into conservatives
- This is what the Fourth Amendment looks like?
- What’s next for now-defunct John Doe probe?
- Appeals court stalls judge’s order halting John Doe probe
- Federal judge’s ruling could open up sealed John Doe records
- Federal judge orders John Doe probe shut down again
- Lawmakers call for review of GAB’s secret John Doe activities, funds
- Lawyers, lawyers everywhere and other dispatches from John Doe Land
- Secret’s out: The world is beginning to learn more about WI’s John Doe
- Still their little secret? Questions remain on John Doe gag order
- Appeals Court declares portions of Wisconsin campaign finance law unconstitutional
- John Doe prosecutors suddenly support opening sealed court records
- Expert: It’s as if GAB decided ‘Citizens United didn’t exist’
- John Doe prosecutors voice phony outrage, legal source says
- GAB still reviewing court ruling declaring WI campaign finance law unconstitutional
- State Farm still doesn’t want to cover John Doe prosecutor’s legal bills
- For the Walker-hating left, John Doe is ‘Mission Accomplished’
- Sources: No urgency in WI Supreme Court on John Doe
- Would Walker settlement with John Doe prosecutors be a deal with the devil?
- Contempt questions surround reported John Doe deal talks
- Walker’s John Doe response raises more questions than answers
- Sources: Attorney General passes on defending GAB in John Doe cases
- Attorney to judge: Don’t let John Doe prosecutor ‘moot’ injunction
- John Doe targets sue Wisconsin’s Government Accountability Board
- Federal judge says his order halting John Doe probe should be clear to prosecutor
- John Doe special prosecutor’s bill still shrouded in secrecy
- ‘Are these kind of armed pre-dawn raids standard operating procedure?’
- John Doe special prosecutor obeys judge’s order
- ‘Never-ending’ John Doe never ended, WSJ reports
- Appeals court upholds judge’s order shutting down John Doe probe
- O’Keefe keeps collecting big wins in John Doe lawsuit
- John Doe I judge says he’s not responsible for John Doe II
- Will taxpayers have to pay for frivolity of John Doe prosecutors?
- John Doe prosecutors jump back into the dark?
- What about those prosecutors? Questions surround other John Doe DAs
- Humiliated in court, WI Dems take their anti-conservative John Doe probe to the media
- Federal judge blasts John Doe prosecutors – again – as he denies records release
- Right on cue: Document dump fuels anti-Walker donation drive
- Wall Street Journal points out ‘disgrace’ of mainstream John Doe reporting
- Expert: John Doe raids raise ‘troubling’ Fourth Amendment questions
- Kelly Rindfleisch tells conservatives, ‘Don’t back down’
- Mainstream media forced to walk back Walker ‘criminal scheme’ narrative
- John Doe prosecutors engaged in premature justification, conservatives say
- Is John Doe probe a case of a mini NSA in Wisconsin?
- AG opinion means accountability board’s John Doe secrets are safe — for now
- Senator asks attorney general to compel GAB to open up its books
- GAB now playing secrets in state John Doe lawsuit
- Will John Doe prosecutors launch lengthy probe against Trek Bicycle?
- John Doe prosecutors engaged in war of words — lots and lots of words
- Judge denies conservatives’ request to add GAB to civil rights lawsuit
- Oral arguments set in John Doe prosecutors’ appeal
- In John Doe Land, the left doesn’t illegally coordinate
- John Doe document blitz must have broken mainstream media’s heart
- Senator: Looks like accountability board is hiding something
- Kelly Rindfleisch appeal to test validity of John Doe digital searches
- Conservatives in John Doe battle know disclosure comes with a heavy price
- Appeals court orders release of some John Doe documents
- Taxpayers on the hook up to $25,000 for GAB’s legal maneuvers
- Overheated media erroneously bring back Walker ‘criminal scheme’ theme
- ‘Retaliation’: Docs show state prosecutors launched mini-NSA probe of WI conservatives
- John Doe prosecutors take desperate, unethical slap
- Walker ‘smoking gun’ story has tiny glaring flaw
- Wisconsin prosecutors aim to shut down conservatives
- Conservatives appeal to common sense in John Doe appeals case
- Conservatives say ‘incorrect disclosure’ of John Doe docs no ‘tiny error’
- First Amendment big guns back targets of John Doe probe
- Was John Doe judge a rubber stamp?
- $25,000 and counting: WI taxpayers’ bill so far to defend GAB and its ‘monster’
- Another blow for Wisconsin’s restrictive campaign finance law
- Wisconsin prosecutors appeal for protection from blowback in partisan probe
- Is John Doe story colored with a bit of ‘Macbeth?’
- GAB director says agency just following the law in John Doe probe
- Kelly Rindfleisch: Where are the tears for the kids the Milwaukee school system failed?
- Rindfleisch attorney: Appeals court can protect the Fourth Amendment in Digital Age
- Source: Wisconsin Supreme Court doesn’t want political heat of John Doe case
- Appeals court reverses John Doe injunction, but Wisconsin’s secret war far from over
- A whistleblower’s story: Taking on a ‘hyper-partisan’ district attorney
- Conservative O’Keefe seeks investigation into John Chisholm and his John Doe
- Who’s paying the bill? Report casts questions on GAB and John Doe payments
- Target of secret John Doe probe is fighting back and speaking out
- The day John Doe rushed through the door
- Rindfleisch: ‘Rape’ not too strong a word for how violated John Doe targets feel
- Conservative group asks court to stop John Doe ‘constitutional injury’
- Conservatives to appeals court: ‘You don’t know Doe’
- Armed and growing: Milwaukee County DA beefs up his ‘police force’
- Federal judge stops John Doe prosecutors from bothering conservative group
- Wisconsin Supreme Court takes another pass on John Doe case
- No surprise: Bice buries the lead, Walker follows the law
- Federalism v. individual rights: A conversation with Eric O’Keefe
- Report: No district attorney will investigate District Attorney John Chisholm
- Appeals court denies request to rehear John Doe civil rights case
- Voters say ‘yes’ to Walker, ‘no’ to John Doe, law expert says
- Vos: There will be reforms to John Doe, GAB
- GAB, Milwaukee County DA bail on key provision behind war on conservatives
- John Doe lawsuit could be headed to U.S. Supreme Court
- Kelly Rindfleisch will fight on in Fourth Amendment case
- John Doe froze conservative speech, targets say
- Conservatives to court: Open up records on GAB’s role in John Doe
- Did the GAB doctor documents to cover their tracks in John Doe?
- Wisconsin’s Van Hollen says goodbye to AG post, John Doe
- Rindfleisch appeals to Supreme Court in John Doe Fourth Amendment abuse case
- Audit: GAB has failed to follow the law
- Wisconsin Supreme Court to take up John Doe complaints
- ‘R word’ surfaces in wake of state Supreme Court taking up John Doe challenges
- GAB won’t say whether it has reauthorized its role in John Doe probe
- Rogue agency defied judges to carry out partisan probe of Wisconsin conservatives
- ‘Outside the … law’: Lawmakers call for investigation of GAB
- Attorney: GAB’s John Doe justifications don’t hold up to law
- Isn’t it ironic: Mainstream silence follows reports of secret GAB Gmail in John Doe
- GAB offers contradictory defense of its John Doe activities
- O’Keefe officially asks judge to open probe into John ‘Doe’ Chisholm
- State lawmakers look to investigate the GAB and its investigators
- One year ago, judge’s ruling shakes up John Doe probe
- Doe possessed: ‘They have information about every aspect of our lives’
- GAB plays victim card in ‘complicated’ John Doe, campaign finance farce
- Public defender asks Supreme Court to take up John Doe-related Fourth Amendment case
- GAB has a sudden change of heart on campaign finance reform
- O’Keefe takes his case against John Doe to U.S. Supreme Court
- Conservatives: GAB’s meeting minutes show gap in board’s John Doe oversight
- How Wisconsin media support DA’s war on conservatives
- Federal judge’s judgment takes John Doe probe off life support
- Following judge’s order killing John Doe, what’s next?
- First Amendment expert: Wisconsin ought to be ’embarrassed’ by John Doe
- Does chief justice have conflict of interest in John Doe case?
- Conservative groups ask U.S. Supreme Court to defend rights of John Doe targets
- Is John Doe special prosecutor still working with partisan DA, GAB?
- Prosecutor misstatements continue to shape John Doe narrative, Walker’s future
- $775,000 and rising — Wisconsin taxpayers’ bill to defend John Doe prosecutors
- Milwaukee DA to be ‘special guest’ at fundraiser for Supreme Court justice
- John Doe reform bill aims to break silence of abusive investigations
- Reform bill would open up the John Doe books to taxpayers
- John Doe target says they are the victim of identity theft
- On Sunshine Week, GAB still operating in the dark
- Wisconsin Supreme Court rejects Rindfleisch Fourth Amendment appeal
- Secretive John Doe special prosecutor who fancies a good leak screams secrecy breach
- Kelly Rindfleisch hopes to avoid becoming first John Doe political prisoner
- GAB, friend of the John Doe, just wants to be a ‘friend of the court’
- Kelly Rindfleisch, Chisholm’s political prize, to begin sentence on Thursday
- U.S. Supreme Court could soon decide whether to take John Doe Case
- Did chief justice show her hand in dissenting John Doe opinion?
- New documents expose GAB’s ‘parallel’ probe expenditures
- Lawmaker: Chief justice’s civil rights complaint is ‘pathetic’
- John Doe reform bill stalls in Legislature
- Who was the reporter outside Cindy Archer’s house?
- U.S. Supreme Court to consider hearing John Doe-related case
- Experts: Chances rise that U.S. Supreme Court will take John Doe case
- Do Chisholm’s public comments on John Doe cross ethical line?
- John Chisholm’s 50 shades of ‘raid’
- Five years later: America just learning ‘tyrannical’ secrets of Wisconsin’s John Doe
- U.S. Supreme Court could announce decision on John Doe case later this month
- Wisconsin as a New Yorker cartoon of itself
- Will discovery reveal more bombshell information about ‘rogue’ GAB?
- Political prisoner Kelly Rindfleisch on home confinement, working for O’Keefe
- Warrants command John Doe targets to remain silent
- U.S. Supreme Court denies review of John Doe-related case
- Was John Chisholm John Doe distracted?
- John Doe reform bill stuck in legislative waiting game
- GAB reform stalled, new docs show GAB working closely with John Doe prosecutors
- Kelly Rindfleisch takes her Fourth Amendment fight to the U.S. Supreme Court
- What happened to Kelly Rindfleisch could happen to you
- Justice asks state Supreme Court to reconsider Rindfleisch Fourth Amendment appeal
- Justice Gableman: Warrants in Rindfleisch case amount to ‘fishing expedition’
- ‘Did they get me?’: Docs reveal long-time John Doe spying operation
- Kelly Rindfleisch: ‘I fear I will never get justice’
- Former Walker aide to file civil rights lawsuit against John Doe prosecutor
- Cindy Archer: Chisholm’s John Doe was ‘campaign of intimidation’
- National Review: Political John Doe victimized 16-year-old boy
- GAB’s Kennedy had a friend in IRS’ Lois Lerner
- Vos: Time to ‘double down’ on GAB reform in wake of reported IRS links
- Left’s loud transparency defenders silent on secret John Doe
- The John Doe investigation might finally be over; Supreme Court to rule Thursday
- Wisconsin Supreme Court shuts down John Doe investigation
- Wisconsin Supreme Court shuts down John Doe investigation, affirms First Amendment
- Kelly Rindfleisch seeks release following death of John Doe probe
- Legal experts on right and left seek review of Rindfleisch John Doe conviction
- John Doe horror stories: ‘I felt completely helpless in my own home’
- Hillary Clinton plays victim card
- Legal expert: Abrahamson and John Doe civil rights cases like day and night
- Attorney: audio confirms traumatic John Doe raid of Cindy Archer’s home
- John Doe prosecutors open new assault on conservative targets
- John Doe prosecutors’ tape of raid raises questions about missing moments
- John Doe reform bill starts to move again
- Conservatives ask Abrahamson to turn over John Doe-related records
- John Doe investigators say there are more tapes of raids
- Legal defense of rogue John Doe agents costs taxpayers nearly $1.2 million
- Explosive email exposes GAB attorney’s partisan motives in John Doe probe
- An open letter to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel’s Patrick Marley
- Wisconsin GAB reform bill could be ready in a few weeks, sources say
- Updated complaint shines more light on dark day in John Doe
- Partisan Falk once urged GAB to ‘get around constitutional right to free speech’
- Legislature to take up John Doe reform in October, GOP leadership says
- Knudson on GAB: ‘We need to take this thing apart’
- Did the GAB ‘illegally coordinate’ with left-leaning groups?
- John Doe prosecutors get a win, practice legal gymnastics again
- Wall Street Journal: GAB targeted conservative justices in John Doe defense
- Craig says bill to investigate GAB’s John Doe activities coming soon
- New emails show GAB assisting in John Doe defense after judge said stop
- ‘Nonpartisan’ GAB staff has partisan past
- John Doe political prisoner Kelly Rindfleisch nears end of her sentence
- Will the voices of the John Doe victims be heard?
- Supreme Court will not hear Kelly Rindfleisch’s Fourth Amendment case
- Judge orders GAB to turn over emails with liberal groups
- The silence of the left is the Dems’ transparency hypocrisy
- GAB chairman: ‘I wasn’t offended’ by John Doe raids
- Sources: Bill would overhaul controversial GAB
- GAB fighting to keep its secrets out of public eye
- GAB overhaul would eliminate blank checks on taxypayer dime
- John Doe victims to tell their stories in Fox News special
- Fiery GAB hearing invokes ghost of Joe McCarthy
- Why did accountability board use Gmail accounts to talk John Doe?
- Prosecutor plugged into ‘hotspot’ to email sensitive John Doe docs
- Judge holds off on release of GAB’s ‘very embarrassing’ records
- Craig blasts newspaper for Dem ‘press release’ coverage of John Doe bill
- Hyperbole happens as John Doe reform passes on party-line vote
- Fireworks coming on GAB and campaign finance reform debate
- GAB living on borrowed time?
- Back to the Future: Dems walk out on vote again
- Newly released John Doe docs reveal much more about rogue GAB
- Lawmakers want answers on GAB director Kevin Kennedy’s IRS conversations
- WSJ: Wisconsin’s political John Doe targeted national conservatives
- Target of political John Doe targets reluctant senators in robocall campaign
- Kevin Kennedy’s spin to save the GAB and his job contradicts the record
- EXCLUSIVE: Wisconsin Senate majority leader, others also targeted in John Doe
- GAB’s defense of John Doe database raises more question than answers
- Spokeswoman: Fitzgerald not ruling out extraordinary session on GAB bill
- GAB kept pushing political probe despite daunting evidence problems
- Memo to Legislature: Take a closer look at GAB Judge’s conduct
- Senate passes GAB overhaul, campaign finance reform in ‘extraordinary’ session
- Conservatives to court on GAB’s secrets: ‘Enough is enough’
- Milwaukee citizens petition Walker to remove DA John Chisholm from office
- Rogue GAB pushing strained legal arguments to keep its secrets
- GAB just about dead as final overhaul bill passes Assembly
- Speech cop, prosecutors argue for secrecy in the face of GAB extinction
- Milwaukee Journal Sentinel mentions petition to remove Milwaukee DA — finally
- Taxpayers on hook for at least $187,000 to defend rogue GAB
- Court filing shows GAB’s Kennedy asking Lois Lerner if IRS ‘would be interested’
- Lawmaker asking GAB to open its John Doe records
- Did GAB’s Kevin Kennedy break the law in John Doe talks with Lois Lerner?
- John Doe victims still in legal limbo four months after Supreme Court ruling
- John Doe political prisoner Kelly Rindfleisch completes probation
- Lawmaker advises GAB’s Kevin Kennedy to ‘obey the law’
- Walker yet to sign GAB overhaul bill
- Wisconsin Supreme Court to rule on motion to reconsider John Doe ruling
- Wisconsin Supreme Court reaffirms John Doe is dead
- John Doe prosecutor gets no respect from targets he intimidated for years
- Former John Doe special prosecutor has little chance before high court
- Political speech ‘watchdogs’ urge continuation of illegal John Doe
- Attorney General: End John Doe case now
- Attorney General: John Chisholm broke campaign finance law
- Milwaukee County Board signals support to fight for illegal John Doe
- The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel’s selective outrage on transparency
- District attorneys want out of political John Doe business
- Did DA who launched political John Doe probe break campaign finance laws?
- With Walker’s signature, the GAB is dead
- Conservatives, transparency win! GAB settles lawsuit, agrees to open up its secrets
- O’Keefe to Chisholm: Go ahead, make my day
- Bill creates legislative committee to investigate John Doe investigations
- Chisholm quietly returns illegal campaign contribution
- John Doe target: ‘Where and when does this abuse end?’
- ‘Good government’ group that celebrated Lois Lerner mourns for GAB
- Falk blasts incompetence of GAB, prosecutors in John Doe, emails show
- Defense attorney: Liberal John Doe cheerleaders beware
- Bad Santa: John Doe prosecutor delivers letters to the people he spied on
- Craig asks attorney general to compel GAB to open up John Doe records
- Former John Doe prosecutor not in compliance with court order
- What’s it like to find out the government has been spying on you?
- John Doe prosecutors ‘just playing games,’ says Cindy Archer’s attorney
- Supreme Court says no to John Doe prosecutors; Abrahamson lashes out
- Mainstream media displays selective principles on open records
- John Doe targets tell Supreme Court that prosecutor is not complying with order
- Schimel says decision coming soon on open records complaint against GAB
- Walker’s office won’t open hearing into Milwaukee County DA John Chisholm
- Petitioner against John Chisholm: Walker’s office dropped the ball
- Chisholm’s use of big guns in John Doe fight raises legal questions
- Lawmaker takes one more try at records request with reluctant GAB
- Schimel says John Doe prosecutors have no right to illegally obtained ‘evidence’
- GAB’s John Doe secrets could soon be released to the public
- John Doe targets: Chisholm has no right to share illegally seized ‘evidence’
- Conservatives: Attorney General alone has authority over John Doe petition
- AG Brad Schimel on John Doe authority question: It’s complicated
- Court denies DAs’ motion to open up John Doe records to private attorneys
- Chisholm’s unaccountable defense: ‘The records do not exist’
- Unsealed John Doe documents show view from Chisholm’s world
- Did John Doe cost Larry Nelson an election?
- Schimel: John Doe investigators living in ‘Alice in Wonderland world’
- First John Doe documents released from lawsuit show GAB’s partisan motives
- Vos names commissioners, end of GAB inches closer
- Will Senate take up Assembly amendment watering down John Doe reforms?
- Important court days coming soon to John Doe Land
- John Doe freedom fighter wins big victory against the IRS
- Oral arguments set in John Doe civil rights lawsuit
- Attorney to Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reporter: ‘Your article is ridiculous’
- Judge Lynn Adelman on John Doe records custody: ‘I don’t care about the law’
- Documents raise questions about John Doe judge’s review of warrant
- Bruce Murphy: When journalists (don’t) attack
- New docs show GAB spent more than 2,500 hours on John Doe probe
- Chisholm invokes his illegal John Doe probe in re-election campaign
- Haas’ emails in GAB’s John Doe probe should give senators pause
- Liberal judge dismisses civil rights lawsuit against John Doe prosecutors
- John Doe victims stuck with GAB retread until at least January
- Mark Gundrum, architect of John Doe-driving GAB, could be next Supreme Court justice
- Before lamenting the end of the GAB, read this
- A year after Supreme Court pronounces John Doe dead, conservatives still waiting for justice
- Free-market group sues John Doe ‘ringleaders’ for violating federal law
- Cindy Archer appeals John Doe civil rights lawsuit to 7th Circuit
- Constitutional law experts come to defense of conservatives targeted in John Doe probes
- Schimel opposes John Doe prosecutors’ petition before U.S. Supreme Court
- Wall Street Journal: Hold John Doe prosecutors accountable
- Where was Russ Feingold’s defense of civil liberties in abusive John Doe probe?
- John Chisholm, the Captain Ahab of prosecutors, wants another shot at John Doe
- Fitzgerald: GAB’s Michael Haas not long for new administrator role
- Craig renews call for legislative investigation into John Doe investigators
- Different day, same old tired and faulty John Doe narrative by mainstream players
- More evidence points to prosecutors, investigators as source of John Doe leaks
- Schimel still weighing options on John Doe leaks
- John Doe dies again: Supreme Court won’t hear Chisholm’s case
- On John Doe: ‘People shouldn’t face jail time for speaking out on the issues’
- Attorney says conservatives still waiting for justice in John Doe saga
- Conservatives seek return of possessions, criminal probe of John Doe leaks
- Under fire, John Doe prosecutors now seek secrecy
- Former John Doe prosecutor continues to practice delay, attorney says
- Document suggests prosecutors leaked sealed John Doe records to Guardian
- Federal judge scolds John Doe prosecutors for ’emergency motion’
- Rep. Dave Craig: Time has come to investigate John Doe investigators
- Supreme Court won’t investigate John Doe leaks
- John Doe civil rights lawsuit about to heat up
- AG says grand jury likely to probe John Doe leaks
- Attorney General calls for investigation into John Doe leaks
- Joe Doe lawsuit seeks to answer whether prosecutors have boundless immunity
- An open letter to the Wisconsin Supreme Court from a John Doe victim
- Latest document dump reminder of how abusive Wisconsin’s John Doe probe was
- John Doe probe will never be over for furious Democrats
- Does prosecutorial immunity trump justice in John Doe-related lawsuit?
- Attorney general’s office remains silent on John Doe leak probe
- Seized documents could raise legal questions for John Doe special prosecutor, GAB