Shawnee County government in 2010 paid almost $41 million to 1,040 employees.
With a 2010 census population of 177,934, an increase of 4.7 percent since 2000, earnings by county workers cost every person about $229.
For the 101,597 residents ages 21 to 64 that’s $401 per working-age resident.
The median annual pay for Shawnee County workers was $35,256 with the middle half of workers earning between $28,038 and $46,082.
Top paid Shawnee County workers included 7 paid $100,000 more. (A boxplot of salaries shows 47 “high pay” employees with salaries over $72,000.)
Table 1. Shawnee County government workers with salaries $100K and over in 2010
Departments with largest payrolls
Seven departments accounted for almost 80 percent of the county’s payroll:
Table 2. Payroll in Shawnee County departments in 2010
See Summary of Payroll by Department for all departments.
Payroll by job positions
Shawnee County assigns one of 262 different job titles to its 1,040 employees. Many employees have a unique title not shared with anyone else.
Job titles with 1 percent of more of the county payroll make up almost 50 percent of all salaries.
Table 3. Job titles with 1 percent or more of Shawnee County payroll in 2010
See Summary of Payroll by Job Title for all positions.
List of Annual Pay for Shawnee County Employees
Table 4. Annual Pay for Shawnee County Workers, 2010 (click below to view PDF)
With 177,934 people Shawnee County is the third largest county in Kansas with a 2010 census population behind Johnson County with 544,179 and Sedgwick County with 498,365. Wyandotte County is fourth largest with 157,505.
See Technical Analysis report for additional details.
Cross-county comparisons will be made in future articles.
Computer Assisted Reporting Notes and Files
- Payroll summary by department: Statistics (PDF), Boxplots (PDF)
- Payroll summary by job title: Statistics (PDF), Boxplots (PDF)
Statistics summary files show number of employees, salary lower and upper bounds (min and max if there are no outliers), quartiles (Q1, Q2 — the median, and Q3). Sum, mean and percent of total figures are also shown. See p. 4 of Technical Analysis for information about boxplots.
- Shawnee County, Kansas
- Shawnee County, Kansas at Sunshine Review: “C” Grade for Sunshine (government transparency)
- Shawnee County, Kansas, Wikipedia
- Kansas Watchdog County Resources (includes salaries from other counties)
- State Government Payroll Database, KansasOpenGov.org
- Government Employment & Payroll, U.S. Census Bureau
- New Kansas.com database: 2010 public salaries, Wichita Eagle, Nov. 23, 2010.
- KanView now provides salary information about state workers, Kansas Watchdog, Sept. 10, 2009.
- Public employees’ pay, Kansas City Star, March 31, 2008.
- Salaries for State Agencies, Lawrence Journal World, 2005.
- State public employee salary resources, Sunshine Review
Contact: Earl F Glynn, email@example.com, KansasWatchdog.org
Reprinting: Kansas Watchdog is a free wire service and we welcome reprinting and only ask for attribution and notification. If you’d like to reprint this story we ask that you e-mail the author with the date the story will run and the outlet name.