The e-mail was sent to Douglas County Election Commissioner Dave Phipps from Forward Omaha’s Gary DiSilvestro. DiSilvestro asks Phipps, who has scheduled a 2 p.m. Saturday news conference to announce the results of the petition drive, not to release any numbers. Contacted by Nebraska Watchdog, Phipps says he’s seen no information that would lead him to delay the announcement.
Late this morning Nebraska Watchdog obtained a copy of the deposition. In addition to the information stated in the e-mail the deposition also finds Juan Baca promising to release his personal calendar which he says includes the days and times he was out gathering signatures. Also according to the deposition, during cross examination by the Recall Committee’s lawyer, Baca testified that he could not provide written proof that anyone told him he would be paid per signature. In the deposition Baca states, “I ain’t got nothing in writing.”
Jeremy Aspen, a spokesman for the Mayor Suttle Recall Committee indicated to Nebraska Watchdog that Baca’s claim of being paid per signature is outrageous. According to Aspen, “No one was picking up 10 signatures an hour.”
The e-mail goes on to say that Baca’s brother, Cirilo, told Powers “that there was in fact a pay-for-signature scheme placed into effect by an out-of state operative of the Recall campaign.”
In addition DiSilvestro says they have a skilled handwriting expert who “continues to find evidence of discrepancies in hand writing on petitions.”
Earlier this week following a court hearing where Powers tried, unsuccessfully for now, to delay the recall process, Aspen said there was “no fraud” whatsoever. At that hearing Powers released five undercover videos and told the judge they clearly indicate fraud.
The recallers need at least 26,643 valid names to force a possible recall election.
Reported by Joe Jordan, email@example.com
Editor’s note: to subscribe to News Updates from Nebraska Watchdog at no cost, click here