By Kenric Ward | Watchdog.org Virginia Bureau
RICHMOND – Lt. Gov. Bill Bolling, Virginia’s designated “chief jobs creation officer,” doesn’t blame Terry McAuliffe for locating GreenTech Automotive in Mississippi.
“I certainly couldn’t criticize Mr. McAuliffe and GreenTech about taking the project to Mississippi,” the Republican told the Virginian-Pilot last Monday.
“The truth is Mississippi offered them a very attractive incentive package … Virginia would have been unlikely to match,” Bolling said.
Virginia officials working for Gov. Tim Kaine, a Democrat, expressed “grave doubts” about the electric car company’s prospects in 2009.
The company is headquartered in McLean, Va., where McAuliffe resides, but signed a deal with then-Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour to build an assembly plant in rural Tunica County.
Mississippi “very aggressively courted us and put up in excess of $15 million for land and so forth that — I have fiduciary duty as chairman of this company as well as in charge of the shareholders, I have a fiduciary duty for the shareholders,” McAuliffe said in a 2012 YouTube video.
Accepting the public-financing package seemed to contradict McAuliffe’s declaration, which he made in the same YouTube interview, where he said:
“I’m proud to always say of all my businesses and the one I’m doing now with the auto, I do it all with private capital. I use my own money and investor money. I just don’t want the government in my business.”
The Mississippi agreement requires GreenTech to create 350 jobs and raise $60 million in capital by Dec. 31, 2014.
A Watchdog investigation found that GTA’s progress in Mississippi has been slow, and McAuliffe acknowledged to NBC-12, “It’s been hard. … All I can tell you is we’re trying.”
Though McAuliffe called the Mississippi package the best deal for shareholders, it was, in actuality, the only deal. Economic development officials in Virginia steered clear of the project, expressing concerns about GreenTech’s marketability, leadership and funding.
Bolling theorized that Virginia officials shied away because the company effectively was a manufacturing start-up, not an existing company looking to expand or relocate here, the Virginian-Pilot reported.
The state’s incentives are tailored more to existing firms, Bolling told the newspaper’s Julian Walker.
Though McAuliffe is former chairman of the Democratic National Committee and is the party’s gubernatorial candidate this year, he has praised Bolling’s work.
In March, the Washington Post quoted McAuliffe as saying he would have a place for the Republican in his administration.
“He’s been very active on job creation issues that he and I have talked about,” McAuliffe said. “And if I was fortunate enough to be elected the governor of the commonwealth of Virginia, I’d love to have him bring his expertise and background and his knowledge to work with me, so that we can continue to work together to create jobs in a very tough global economy.”
Kenric Ward is a national reporter for Watchdog.org and chief of the Virginia Bureau. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org or at (571) 319-9824. @Kenricward
- VA: As he runs for governor, McAuliffe wheels and deals electric cars in Mississippi
- VA: Media echo Watchdog exclusive on McAuliffe’s electric car maneuvers
- No news here: PolitFact brands Terry McAuliffe’s electric-car claim ‘false’
- Experts question source of McAuliffe car-company funding
- Terry McAuliffe on business ventures: ‘Some work, some don’t’
- How McAuliffe’s car company failed the Virginia test, landed in Mississippi
- Virginia official wants probe of McAuliffe company ‘visa-for-sale’ program
- McAuliffe car company sues Watchdog in libel claim
- Barack Obama’s GreenTech connection: Rick Wade
- Silence, secrecy, cops follow GreenTech’s China deal
- McAuliffe hones China’s crony-capitalism model in U.S.
- Promises keep Tunica County afloat
- McAuliffe company’s China hook-up: Will it work?
- McAuliffe car lags in Domino’s delivery
- McAuliffe car co. parent in off-shore tax shelter
- Lawmaker gives feds one more week for EB-5 answers
- Bolling: McAuliffe’s Mississippi package ‘attractive’
- Inside, execs knew McAuliffe plan had ‘substantial risk’
- Union darling McAuliffe and his non-union car company
- Did Clinton aid the birth of ‘McAuliffe’ car company?
- McAuliffe feels heat over GreenTech resignation
- TV report: One year later, ‘party is over’ at GreenTech
- Months after he said he left company, McAuliffe kept talking GreenTech
- Clinton connection: More money for McAuliffe
- Terry McAuliffe used loophole to avoid key SEC oversight of his car company
- VA officials: McAuliffe green car more politics than biz
- McAuliffe car company announces it’s ready to roll — again
- Before Watchdog, McAuliffe blamed federal officials for money trouble
- McAuliffe gets cash from GreenTech exec, board members
- Watchdog report on McAuliffe spurs FOI request to Homeland Security
- McAuliffe leaves GreenTech questions hanging at debate
- Totally wired: McAuliffe went to Napolitano to expedite company funding
- McAuliffe bragged about GreenTech’s cash position while begging feds for faster processing of ‘cash for visas’
- Investigation targets Homeland official’s relationship to McAuliffe company
- Even before news of federal probe, McAuliffe ducked GreenTech questions
- McAuliffe company pressed Homeland official on 81 investor visas
- Rodham company sought visa for controversial Chinese exec
- Immigration official says he met with McAuliffe to discuss visas for foreign investors
- Whiners: Mayorkas says Gulf Coast ‘continues to complain’
- VIDEO: Ex-GreenTech employee says little happened at Horn Lake plant
- Online ad to Terry McAuliffe: Drop your lawsuit
- National security on ‘hold’: Lawmakers press McAuliffe for answers
- Citizens United documentary film delves into McAuliffe, GreenTech
- VIDEO: Terry McAuliffe’s 15 million-square-foot car plant … in China
- Feds call McAuliffe car company’s use of investment program ‘possible fraud’
- GreenTech courted Obama’s Solyndra aide
- GOP legislators call for McAuliffe to answer GreenTech questions
- McAuliffe ‘desperate’ over documentary, Citizens United says
- GreenTech weighed Fisker-style federal loan
- Group tells Terry: Follow ‘McAuliffe Standard’ on disclosure
- Car and Driver races into GreenTech controversy
- Congressman: McAuliffe owes Virginians explanation about White House meeting
- Feds loosen oversight as McAuliffe car company makes mysterious management change
- GreenTech execs use Times and ABC to throw McAuliffe under the (non-electric) bus
- Aide in union contribution swap hosts California fund-raiser for McAuliffe
- Despite denials, docs show McAuliffe company asked feds to fast-track visa for investor tied to spy list
- Former Democrat Party director was on GreenTech payroll
- More bad news for McAuliffe car company as GreenTech China venture stalls
- Clinton Foundation posts deficits on McAuliffe’s watch
- VIDEO: GreenTech record dogs McAuliffe at energy forum
- Auto industry expert labels McAuliffe electric car ‘preposterous’
- Democratic leaders have their own Bain pain in Mideast private equity deal
- Hillary PAC adviser served as GreenTech spokeswoman
- New emails add evidence McAuliffe pressed U.S. officials to approve GreenTech funding
- After endorsement, Post shrinks facts to cover Terry McAuliffe
- Ties that bind: Following the McAuliffe-Clinton money trail
- McAuliffe tilts at windmills; Chinese venture goes bust
- Federal investigations cast shadow over McAuliffe on Election Day
- DHS inspector over GreenTech-McAuliffe case is under investigation
- McAuliffe names former GreenTech employee secretary of commonwealth