***** WANTED: REPORTER (MADISON (WI), MISSISSIPPI, TEXAS, VIRGINIA) *****
We know who you are. You’re the reporter in your newsroom who sees stories in a very different way; who isn’t satisfied with the way stories are being reported, the way they’ve always been reported. We know who you are. We’ve been there.
Watchdog.org, a leader in online journalism, is looking for self-starting reporters who want to hold government at all levels accountable, who know exactly where to look for waste, fraud and abuse – reporters who know how to tell those stories in compelling ways. We move fast and don’t have time to teach on the job.
We have immediate openings in Madison, WI; Mississippi; Texas; and Virginia. We also have opportunities that allow the right candidates to work on national issues from wherever they live. We offer a flexible work schedule and a competitive compensation package.
Watchdog.org is a project of the Franklin Center for Government and Public Integrity.
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials to Mary Ellen Beatty at MBeatty@Watchdog.org:
Résumé and cover letter detailing (a) salary requirements and (b) your interest in the mission of the organization. Two to three writing samples demonstrating your ability to write from the point of view of the taxpayer.
***** WANTED: Executive Editor *****
This role will be focused on the day-to-day management of a thriving news operation, ensuring that the work of Watchdog.org’s reporters and editors reflects high journalistic standards and advances the Franklin Center mission.
The Executive Editor will be based in Franklin’s Alexandria, Virginia office, and report to the Vice President of Journalism.
Responsibilities and Tasks Include:
- Overseeing day-to-day journalism operations, including management issues and supervision of the editing process
- Supervising a staff of more than 25 reporters and editors
- Clearly communicating Franklin’s mission to editing staff and reporters
- Working with reporters and editors to ensure each story meets that mission
- Recruiting and mentoring reporters
- Ensuring reporters and editors achieve established production goals, including story quality and count; pickups in other media; and social-media activity
- Managing workflow of the editorial process
- Coordinating with the organization’s marketing and media relations assets to maximize exposure for our reporters and their work product
- 10+ years of experience in journalism, including significant managerial/editor-level experience
- Strong people management skills; passion for cultivating, empowering, and professionally developing lower level staff
- Strong written & verbal communication skills; Significant copy editing experience
- Successful track record of problem solving; confronting issues head-on and addressing them
- Self-motivated; outcome-oriented
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously, turn ideas into action, and drive projects to completion
- Big picture mentality; ability to see how all the moving parts of an operation fit together
- Superior organization and focus on detail
- Solid administrative skill set
- Budgeting experience
- Knowledge of the free-market nonprofit movement a plus
Qualified candidates should submit the following in one PDF file:
- Cover letter detailing your sincere interest in this position/mission of the organization and your salary requirements
Materials should be emailed to Claire Dixon, executive director of Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: firstname.lastname@example.org. All materials should be sent in one PDF file with your name in the file name.
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. No phone calls, please.